Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Towards a Less Anxious Presence (part 4)

Psalm 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God.” This Hebrew word translated “be still” may also be translated (so I’m told by a Hebrew language Professor), “Let it go.” So, Psalm 46:10 message might be “Let it go and know that I am God.” Philippians 4: 6-7. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (NIV) The word that precedes verse 6 is “The Lord is at hand.” I think we can say, “The Lord is at hand, therefore, do not be anxious….” The word translated “guard” may also be translated as “rule” or “umpire.” I have a desire to let go of several things, such as... Let go of: 1. my “identifications.” I’m more than a Baptist, teacher, counselor, etc. These identifications can be restrictive; they primarily relate me to what I do. I'm more than what I do. 2. of my need to be special. I’m just me and that’s okay. 3. what others think of me. They are thinking through their own “filters” of which they may or may not be aware. 4. envy and jealously. Giving to others is a good prescription for these personal demons, so let others have the last word; need for victory; etc. 5. the need to change someone else. I speak not to change the other person’s mind, but to clearly and non-aggressively articulate the truth as I perceive it at this moment. 6. needing to talk so much. Listen instead. God gave us two ears but only one mouth. Could there be a divine message/revelation here?

No comments:

Post a Comment