Thursday, October 1, 2026

The Grace of Simplicity

The grace of simplicity (The Fifth Season, Mark Nepo). I am nearing the end of my 84th year. My wife of 63 years has died. I am in good physical and mental health. I continue to work as a psychotherapist four days a week. I continue to read daily. I continue to travel. I am enjoying this season of my life. I am, however, working at this grace of simplicity. I am trying more simplicity around the house, which I now refer to as “my hermitage” as there is no one else in the house. I have given away my wife’s clothing, jewelry, etc. I have taken furniture, a bicycle and golf clubs which I no longer use to Habitat’s Restore. My home is a simpler living space. I am eating more simply with more fruits and vegetables with less meat and desserts. I am meeting more friends for lunch as I attempt to balance solitude with socializing. My kids are nearby and we check on each other regularly. I am trying to learn the uniqueness of this season of my life and live it fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment