Sunday, March 31, 2024

What does it really mean to “be a Christian?”

What does it really mean to “be a Christian?” In my growing up years, this meant joining a particular church and affirming their beliefs which were usually stated in creeds, doctrines or printed on the back page of the hymnal. We read these with some frequency in the Church services as a way of reminding ourselves now only who we were but, also, what we believed. I now label this “tribal religion” or “imbedded religion.” It was what my family, friends and Church, aka, the “tribe” taught me. It was what all these folks whom I loved and who loved me believed and taught me; it was “imbedded” as a significant aspect of my growing up. Now at a more mature age, I wonder “Is this really what it means to be a Christian?” In my practice as a psychotherapist, I often tell folks to “read a person’s behavior because that will be a more accurate insight into their values and beliefs.” Jesus said something like this “By their fruits you will know them” (Matthew7:15). James, Jesus’ brother wrote, “What good is it, my brothers [and sisters] if you say you have faith but do not have works” (James 2:14). Sounds to me like claiming to be a Christian involves one’s behaviors which is more than membership, creeds, doctrines, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment