Monday, March 11, 2024

Read the Behavior

It angers me when individuals and groups, especially in the political arena, use Biblical terms, phrases, and concepts for their own personal or political agenda with no understanding about what the scriptures mean. We interpret scriptures to fit our personal agendas rather than the work of self-discipline so that our agendas match the scriptures. The answer is stated in the sentence—the need for self-discipline. It also frustrates me when I see those individuals, especially political figures, claiming to be Christian but their personal and political actions say otherwise. I tell my clients in the consulting room, “Read the person’s behavior and there you will find the truth.” Words are easily spoken but behavior, especially habitual behavior like one’s character, is the work of self-discipline which comes neither quickly nor easily. I fear we are creating a very shallow Christianity which is not at all as Jesus taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment