Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Israel and Palestine

https://baptistnews.com/article/in-this-war-there-are-no-good-guys/ I share this news link with you in the hope you will read the article because (1) I care a lot about what happens in Israel and Palestine, not only because of my travels but, also, because of friends, Israelis, and Palestinians, who live in Israel and Jordan. (2) Mark Wingfield is an acquaintance from the time he was the editor of the Kentucky Western Recorder. He works hard to be a fair reporter and editor. I trust his reporting. (3) The headlines “there are no good guys” is accurate by my estimate. I have been to Israel several times. In the late 1970’s I went into a Palestinian refugee camp with Dr. Wayne Ward (now deceased) and visited a Southern Seminary graduate who was a Baptist pastor in Palestine. I will always remember the smell of the refugee camp where he and his family lived in a tent (much like the article’s picture) and tried to continue his ministry among the refugees. Hamas is not right in their attacks! Hamas is no representative of the Palestine government any more than the white nationalists are representatives of either Christianity or the USA government. Israel is not right in their decade’s long treatment of the Palestinian peoples! Christian churches and pastors are not right in their uniliteral support for Israel when they do not know the history! The USA is not right with their dealings in the so called “Holy Lands.” I pray for the peace of Jerusalem which is more than just a place. The word, Jerusalem, means a reality or peoples from which peace flows.

No comments:

Post a Comment