Monday, October 16, 2023

Church?

I drive past a large Church with an auditorium, gym, and educational space. Their services are well programed with music, lights, video, and a preacher. They even have a school for which families must pay. I wonder if this is what Jesus intended when he founded Church. I also drove past another Church with a small congregation. They also have an auditorium, programmed worship service and a preacher. They use much of their space to clothe, feed and house the poor. I wonder if this is what Jesus intended when he founded Church. I ocassionally drive past a plain looking house in which a small congregation gathers weekly to sit in silence and listen for God’s Spirit. Their sign says they welcome everyone, no exceptions. They recently had a table at the community’s gay pride festival. They do not have a preacher, although anyone can speak as he or she believes the Spirit leads. I wonder if this is what Jesus intended when he founded Church. The Church down the street meets in a beautiful older building that looks like a European building. They have a preacher who wears robes, and their congregation prays from a book. I wonder if this is what Jesus intended when he founded Church. We have many and varied ideas about Church. I wonder what Jesus thinks of all our efforts to be Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment