Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Forgiving Self is a Gift

Forgiving oneself is difficult. For many of us we try too hard to accomplish self-forgiveness. I think of the analogy of a pet such as a dog or cat. If I chase it, the pet will run from me. However, if I sit down peacefully and calmly, the pet will often come to me and eventually lay down beside me. I think self-forgiveness is something like that. The harder I try to forgive myself, the more difficult and elusive it becomes. However, as I become accepting of myself, including all the things I wish I had not done or said as well as the things I wish I had left undone or unsaid, I become more peaceful, and my mind or memories settle down. As that begins to happen, forgiveness of myself seems to come close, almost unannounced, and settle beside or within me. Self-forgiveness is a gift not a hard-earned self-accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment