Monday, November 14, 2022

Acceptance

Acceptance is one of the easy things to say and one of the most difficult things to make happen. How do I accept that which I do not want to accept? Is accepting something merely a nice word for giving up? How can I accept something which I do not believe is in my, or the other person’s, best interest? If I say that I accept something, how do I keep my mind from ruminating about that which I “have accepted?” I wish I had a good answer to each of these challenging questions. When the issue comes up that I am trying to accept, I remind myself that I am working toward acceptance. Acceptance requires my continual action; not something that is already accomplished. Perhaps it is best said that accepting is a better description than acceptance. Accepting has something to do with “letting go.” For me to become accepting, I must let go of my expectations. My expectations and my accepting seem to be working against each other. Therefore, accepting will involve letting go of my expectations. I am willing, by God’s grace, to be accepting of what happens. If I don’t like it, I will learn to deal with it in a healthy and appropriate manner of behavior as well as attitude. I really am in control of my behavior and attitude even though I am not in control of others and most circumstances. Perhaps accepting involves this sense of knowing what I may control and what I may not control as well as dealing with my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment