Saturday, October 22, 2022

Unity Is Not Uniformity

Two recent conversations are laying on my mind. Both separate conversations were about leading their respective Churches (from two separate denominations) to a public declaration of inclusiveness. Both Churches publicizes their openness to all people, specifically the gay and lesbian community. I have thought they are so inclusive that they have almost become exclusive. I wish for the Churches that the liberals in politics and religion would be capable of sitting with the conservatives in politics and religion and talk and listen to each other with respect and seeking, not only understanding as to how the others have evolved to their places but, also, how we can work and worship together. I am personally weary of ‘who is right and who is wrong.’ It seems to me that we both are responsible for the great divisions in our world and our churches. It is as if we are all “too sure of ourselves”. Where is the humility that we might be, and surely are, wrong about some of the things we believe and teach. Do we push against social injustices? Absolutely. Is our goal to defeat them personally even think of them as the enemy? That goal does not seem correct. The denomination of which I have chosen to belong at this time believes in “relational missions.” Live respectfully among the others and learn from them and they may choose to learn from us but even if not, mutual respect will develop. I like that process and goal. I seek unity, not uniformity.

No comments:

Post a Comment