Monday, September 6, 2021

Silly Religion

Psalm 31:6 reads in the New International Version, “I hate those who cling to worthless idols; I trust in the Lord.” The Message, translates that verse, “I hate all this silly religion, but you, God, I trust.” Religion can become a worthless idol when the focus is on our doctrines, building and programs. I recall the story that the finger which points to the moon is not the moon. The Church, including her doctrines, buildings and programs, is only a finger pointing to God. It is too easy to focus on the finger rather than that to which it points. Yet, we easily and quickly lose sight of God as we spend our time and energies taking care of our doctrines, buildings and programs. Lord, save us from all our silly religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment