Sunday, August 25, 2019

Forgiven or Pacified

There is a major difference between being forgiven and being pacified. To be pacified, it seems to me, is to find some means that removes my guilt and shame. It is like being tranquilized. Forgiveness, on the other hand, has to do with repentance. Repentance means that I've stopped the behavior or at least I'm making a serious effort. Forgiveness is also a process. My commitment to work toward forgiveness is a clear decision to be made at a specific time and, probably, will need to be made again and again. It will take some time and effort to change my attitudes, behavior, spirit, etc. It will also take a desire on my part to make the necessary changes and it will require some work in me by God's Spirit to stay the course of forgiveness. Forgiveness has to do with learning from my past behaviors so that they are not continually re-occurring. Forgiveness is difficult, but it leads to genuine peace. To be pacified is to find a small break in a storm. Forgiveness iinvolves getting out of the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment