Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How Did We Change?

I came of age in the 1960s while in college, graduate school and Seminary. I was greatly influenced by Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson. President Kennedy's statement, "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country" captured and influenced the spirit of those times. It has certainly been a significant part of my life's motivation. That spirit motivated our country to establish the Peace Corps, land a man on the moon and develop the war on poverty. Those movements were expensive but we joined together for their payment and involvement. I fear we have changed. As I listen to debates, read letters to the editors and hear about talk radio and television, I fear our attitude has changed. It seems to me that our attitude is "What can the country do for me?" I desire a leader who can help us frame a vision that unites all of us in causes that are larger than our specific interests. Surely such an attitude would lift us above our selfish interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment