Sunday, January 1, 2023

What Is Silence?

Beatrice Bruteau in her book, Radical Optimism, gives an expanded description of silence. (“Yes,” I recommend her book if you want to do deep and serious theological thinking). Silence is more than just ‘not talking.’ Silence is letting go of or relaxing the need or obsession and compulsion to talk. Silence asks myself “Is what I want to say necessary? Silence lets go of the ego’s need to talk about myself. Silence is relaxing the desire or need for approval and/or admiration. Silence is also letting go of the ego’s desire to demonstrate my success, power, wealth, and control of others. Silence is letting go of needing things to go my way. Silence is letting go of desiring not to be inconvenienced or humiliated. Silence gives up the need to have the last word. Silence is a self-discipline which relaxes the ego’s demands or expectations of ourselves and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment