Sunday, February 25, 2024

Those 8 "Passions"

I will be vigilant about my “passions or energies” (later named the ‘deadly sins’— “wrongly” I think, but that is for a blog). Those passions, energies or shall we name them “demons” or “gods” (note the lack of a capital letter) are (1) gluttony (wanting more than I need), (2) lust (desiring others for my pleasure or benefit), (3) greed (thinking about scarcity or I may not have enough), (4) sadness (focusing on what I did not get or have), (5) anger (frustration with not getting what I want), (6) acedia (boredom; restlessness; jumping to the newest, most exciting, things, etc.), (7) vainglory (thinking too highly of myself), and (8) pride (taking credit for what others and God have done). The purpose of these energies is (1st) to blind me to their presence and (2nd) to infect me in such a manner as to diminish and eventually destroy my joy, peace, and contentment. My desire is to be aware that these energies/demons are always nearby. They will never go away or be completely extinguished because they are a part of who I am; therefore, I want to be alert and sensitive to all of them. I will set strong and appropriate boundaries with all of them. (“Thanks”, Evagrius [345-399]. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) called these “sins of the spirit” which, he said, are more dangerous than sins of the flesh).

No comments:

Post a Comment