Thursday, May 29, 2014

One's Mind-set

I've been doing counseling or therapy for nearly 50 years.  The more I do this the more I'm convinced that most of the task leading to mental, emotional, social, spiritual, etc. health is one's attitude or mind set.  I like the phrase "mind set" because it really is the direction or purpose to which a person 'sets his/her mind.'  Is the glass half empty or half full?  The reality is that with either mind set, you have water.  My family was fond of saying that attitude or mind set was the difference between an optimist and a pessimist. When you get up in the mornings and sit on the bed side, is your mind set "Good morning, Lord" or "Good Lord, morning?"  I've known some folks who seem to have overwhelming troubles, yet they have a positive mind set.  They say, "Sure it's tough, but I'm working at it."  I've also known others whose troubles appear to overwhelm them, they want to give up and their mind-set is toward hopelessness.  I still believe that the main difference is how the person or persons has 'set their mind.'

No comments:

Post a Comment